Tuesday, December 2, 2008

More Letters Between Lovers

A Telegram Sent from Laurence to Viv:



After Vivien had finished filming "Gone With the Wind" and was scheduled to meet Larry in NY:

"I do not think there is a solitary second when my mind is not completely buried in you. You are really on my brain--I suppose if you happened to represent something dangerous I should be locked up--but no it's not quite like that. I am not always thinking sweetly of you. I am thinking angrily or indignantly or sulkily, quite often, but I am never not thinking of you. More often than not I am just worried about you, concerned and distressed about my baby lamb being tired or unhappy--and of course often it is with mad, mad passion and sometimes it is naughty, sometimes, only sometimes is it dirty or even sadistic...You are all over me, in sorrow or in joy, all of the time--O yes in drunkenness too, in conversation, in work, with every breath and heart-beat."

After Larry was informed that Vivien had contracted tuberculosis:

"You know that whatever the dark thing is--that the slightest shadow across your life troubles me so much more than any harm to myself. You're the only person in the world who can make hideously selfish me love anyone more than I do myself. You know don't you my Vivien that if I try to save you disappointment or give you happiness it is only selfishness on my part really. Your sorrow is my worst fear...your life my life."

all from www.vivandlarry.com/letters

A letter from Larry to Vivien with an illustration of a movie scene he had just wrapped:


No comments: