Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Letters Between Lovers

Correspondence from Larry to Viv:



Excerpts from the above letter:

"O God how dreadful--half an hour of absolute madness again. What is happening to us pussey? Hey? Something's gone so wrong and it only becomes apparent on the phone. O darling dear I am so sorry we're getting so horribly spoilt. It's just insanity, that's all...I'm always reproached with having a gay time and I'm not having any such thing...On the phone when it costs a fortune--you willfully misunderstand and distort what I've said and construe it all in the best way to keep up the quarrel longest. O baby we're getting so depressed we must try not to...It feels that I have learned to expect 'trouble' somehow, and I find myself rising from my cave, with smoke coming out of my nostrils before my cue. So please forgive me my dear one. [here he drew a dragon in a cave on the left confronting a hissing, arched-back cat on the right] We mustn't let misunderstandings heap up--dear darling o please forgive me--the truth is we've been so miserable and frustrated and tired and aching and bored for so long that we've temporarily lost our senses of humour."

From the same letter, after Olivier got word via a call from Sunny Alexander (Vivien's secretary) that Vivien had accidentally overdosed on sleeping aides, (she soon recovered).

"Darling baby oh sweet little tiny baby girl, I do love you so. O how terribly touching you are , I do adore you Vivien my daring little girl. O but I ought to be sooooo cross with you. Urrrgh Urrrgh! How dare you take four pills like that you hysterical little ninny (and I know perfectly well you knew people would get alarmed and ring me up and put the fear of God into your poor old larry at five o'clock in the morning). Urrrgh! Bend over--yes, take your drawers down--no, lift your skirt up--now then:--Smack! Smack! Smack! -!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!!!!! Yes--Eleven!! Naughty pooossey. Now you come here and I'll kiss it and make it better--Oh my Vivling. What did your poor three friends think, hey? Poor Sunny was demented. I'm afraid you lead your loving ones one hell of a dance and that's terribly naughty. You're awfully spoilt yes you are, and it's all because you're so pretty. Ah poor pussey that's enough isn't it? Hey? Oh my dear true love I do adore you and love you so put on a brave front my own like this [here he drew an elegant cat holding an umbrella]. True blood, stout hearts and grey herrings and pretty pussies and Larry's carnations, and beloved, O beloved Vivlings, don't give way in front of the common herd like this."

from www.vivandlarry.com/letters

No comments: